Thursday, May 7, 2015

Negative #1: Sand Volleyball Diligence

I want to start with a quick statement to say I do not condone underage drinking. With that said, I'll continue with the series of the "Positives and Negatives of Wartburg Security" and how it deals with safety on campus.

Recently, Wartburg Security emailed residents of the manors because of a "so-called" spike in drinking out by the sand volleyball courts. Because the courts are Wartburg property, they can be regulated just like different dorms can in terms of alcohol acceptance. In this case, they are dry, and nobody can drink out there, regardless of age.

Now, I get that this is for safety. There is nothing worse than students getting blackout drunk and stumbling around becoming a nuisance to all. However, in all of my hours of being out at the courts (and it's a lot), that has never happened. The rule makes sense to prevent people from getting too drunk, but if students are of age, I don't see what the problem is with bringing out a couple beers and enjoying the warm May Term weather responsibly.

If Wartburg wants us to act like the adults that we are, the first step is to treat us like adults. And that includes giving us responsibility. If we abuse it, fine. We get our rights taken away.

As it is right now, students (21 years of age, mind you) are getting in trouble for having a couple beers out by the sand volleyball courts. Wartburg Security now makes regular trips every day out to the courts to prevent a victimless crime from occurring. I'm all for following rules, but the one in place right now does not make sense.

To close, at least our campus is being safely watched over by Wartburg Security. At this point in time, I wish the safety net could be a little more giving, but I'll give them credit for making me feel safer on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment